Eclipse vs Netbeans: Mark Occurrences

Eclipse vs Netbeans Mark Occurrences

Regular readers to this blog would know that I am a fan of Eclipse. I post a few tips about Eclipse, I have developed a couple of Eclipse plugins and I am an Eclipse user since 2002.

With that out the way there is a lot of hype about Netbeans these days as the 6.0 release is coming up. I have been checking it out from time to time. But downloading the IDE and trying out a few simple programs does not do any justice to evaluating it. So when I was asked to do a few internal tools and proof of concepts at work I decided to use Netbeans for it. It is tough, not because Netbeans is bad but because I have been using Eclipse of so long that using it as almost second nature to me. To work with Netbeans I have to learn using it and unlearn using Eclipse.

So instead of giving my Eclipse biased opinion of Netbeans I thought pick up a few tips I have posted about Eclipse and post how the same tip or feature works in Netbeans. I am hoping that by doing this I will learn more about Netbeans.

One of the features I use the most in Eclipse is ‘Mark Occurrences‘. I was happy to see this feature in Netbeans Editor. Just place the edit cursor over the method or variable and Netbeans will highlight all the occurrences or references of this. The above screenshot shows how this feature looks in both Eclipse (top) and Netbeans editors. Very similar. Well that was an easy one…

Vasanth Dharmaraj is a Java Architect currently working for Western Union living in the Bay Area. He is interested in programming, gadgets, formula one... You can follow him on Twitter.

Posted in Eclipse, Java, Netbeans
6 comments on “Eclipse vs Netbeans: Mark Occurrences
  1. Venky says:

I have been a netbeans user for a while now and i share your feelings. When i tried to use eclipse, i had to "unlearn" all my netbeans knowledge and start afresh. I just couldnt get used to it and found it way downright difficult. Right from creating a project to running it, i found that things were different (and my own personal opinion that netbeans was much simpler). Though eclipse is still ahead of the pack, i have to say netbeans is catching up..

2. Donald Smith says:

Sorry, I don’t get the point of the entry. Tell me something new, cool and interesting not yet another "look it’s almost the same" entry.

- Don

3. Jim P. says:

Is there a way for Netbeans to mark the occurrences of exceptions? In Eclipse if you select an exception in a catch block or in the throws clause it marks where those exception may be thrown. I was trying out Netbeans 6 RC1 (which I like overall) and it did not mark the exception occurrences like Eclipse, at least out the box.

4. Vasanth says:

Don,

Well I thought that posts like this would be helpful for Eclpse users to move to Netbeans for whatever reason. Of course I knew that this post did not have new Netbeans users would not immediately notice. I should have picked a different example. Anyway I have more such posts planned which may be more useful. Like Jim points out there are differences in the implementation of mark occurrences itself like the exception…

Jim,

I could not find the mark the exception occurrences feature in Netbeans.

5. Donald Smith says:

Sorry Vasath, my point really wasn’t about your blog in particular but overall. NB60 is being released eventually and all I see are blogs along the theme of "wow look, we now sorta almost have something kinda like Eclipse, you should try us. have you tried us lately, we’re not like we were 3 years ago, we’re almost like eclipse now" — and then some infetesimally micro-specific example. I was expecting 60 to be "rah rah look at all the really new innovative stuff", but I’m not hearing it.

– Don

6. Vasanth says:

Hmmm… Let me see if I can find some innovative stuff there.

Ads By Google